A bubbly blog about boys, bleeding, and the basics between.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Naked Boys Bleeding?

So I'm in an Off-Broadway musical called Naked Boys Singing, and it's exactly as it sounds: 8 guys singing (and dancing) in their birthday suits for a bunch of gay boys and bachelorettes. I have a good time... What can I say?

Anywho the other night I was doing my thing and getting into costume (yes, for some numbers we wear clothes), and I dropped a pair of scissors that we use as a prop on my toe... Point down. And this is right after the opening number.

Now as stated in earlier posts I have hemophilia A, an INTERNAL bleeding disorder, but sometimes if it's a deep cut, it just won't stop. And this was.

Now I have a couple options. I could make a big deal about getting hurt, have them rework the show partway through (my swing was on for another actor), or I could slap on an adhesive bandage and grin and bear it. Of course I chose option two.

I got over to the first-aid kit and could only find those mini bandaids that no one really uses in variety packs unless it's to cover a pimple or something... So I put on like 5 on and make it on stage in time for my entrance.

After the number, as I'm coming off-stage I look down, and the plethora of bandages I have put on my toe are COMPLETELY soked through with blood. Great. Just perfect.

So I raid the kit again now that I have a little more time and find those awkward bandages you use for knuckles, and I said, "HEY! It's better than nothing." So I get my toe cleaned with alcohol and bandage it up again. This one holds relatively well and makes it through a couple of numbers, but sure enough gets soaked through again and I have to change the bandaid for the final time.

So the last couple of numbers in the show run one into the other for my track... I really don't have a break. So I grin and bear it and hope it sticks. About half way through the number in which I am featured I can feel that something isn't right. I look down and the bandaid has come partially off and I'm leaving little streaks across the floor. Great. That's all I need right now. But the show must go on and I just keep going and soldier on. It is just a bleeding toe for Pete's sake. (I still don't know who Pete is...)

I made it through the show and went straight home. I was finally able to get it to stop after a couple of hours and a couple of ice packs.

Moral of story? Don't be a klutz...

No comments:

Post a Comment