A bubbly blog about boys, bleeding, and the basics between.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Clothes "Get Better" at Old Navy


So I was looking for inspiration for a blog post, and I came across this...

Old Navy Debuts Gay Pride T-Shirts For It Gets Better

I could not be happier. THIS is where America should be heading. A major brand, major label, releasing a series of shirts for Pride much like they do for Independence Day. I can only imagine the uprising that is going to happen in Middle America, but with the proceeds going to such an AMAZING organization as "It Gets Better," it's hard to get angry about the cause.

I am really surprised it has taken a major label such as Old Navy to finally jump on board with stores such as American Apparel which has had the "Legalize Gay" shirt out since everything happened with Prop 8.


It's one of those things that really excites me for purely selfish reasons. Part of me can't wait until the first kid gets sent home from school for wearing something "inappropriate" and the conversation and dialogue that will sprout from that will be priceless.

I always try to bring things back around. We all know controversy will stem from this decision, but if someone was wearing a shirt with a giant blood droplet on it that said "Donate Today" or "I'm a Hemo," no one would say a word. But still just as important to the person wearing it as a Pride 2011 shirt. We are all moving forward. I can feel a shift happening in culture. People are becoming more understanding about peoples differences and are willing to accept them more more openly. I couldn't be happier.

So that's it for today. Short and sweet. Not very witty though and for that I apologize. If I don't blog again until after the weekend I hope EVERYONE has a fantastic holiday and enjoys the long weekend. I'm going to brunch on Monday ;-)

Till we meet again...

2 comments:

  1. While I'm not gay(the homo part), I am a hemo(the hemo part). I typed #hemophilia into twitter and this was the first thing to pop up. I really liked reading your blog. Most blogs are done by mom's of severse's dealing with the new discovery of our differentness. Then any blogs from hemo's themselves are usually from severse's. Don't get me wrong I love me some severse's but being a mild I don't exactly deal with those issues on a constant basis. So it was nice to find this blog. How do you afford all your treatments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lucky enough to be overly careful and respond well to Stimate. I also have decent insurance, so I'm kinda lucky :-) Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete