A bubbly blog about boys, bleeding, and the basics between.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Happy (Belated) Halloweeeeen

So here we are. Another All Hallow's Eve has passed us by. It has been a while since I have written a true Hemo Homo blog post, where it talks about BOTH h's in one post, but this one is defiantly a little bi-polar! (Where's my Lexipro...)

So last night I cater/waitered an even co-hosted by Mount Gay Rum and Swish. Now for those of you who haven't read my previous posts, Swish is a Gay-Straight Alliance that fights "for equal rights using talent, smarts, and a sense of style." One of the Co-Founders is my fabulous cousin Sue, and I always try to participate in events whenever I can.

Now even though I did a little eye makeup and wore fierce leather pants, we weren't allowed to dress in costume because I was working the event. Just black, so needless to say, at least the dress code was slimming. I had such a blast at this event. It was slammed with people and we debuted a new cocktail called the Boystown which was Mount Gay Rum, Elderflower Liquor (St. Germaine), Tonic, and Lime Juice. Muy delicioso. It was a fantastic beginning to a (hopefully) long lasting partnership between Mount Gay and Swish!



But not being about to wear a costume got me a little sad. I love dressing up for Halloween and it made me think about some of my favorite costumes from years past, and one jumps out.

I don't remember how old I was, I'm gonna say 5 or 6, and I had a knee bleed. I think I was going to be Donatello that Halloween, but how can you be a ninja turtle in a wheel chair?! So after much thinking between myself and my mother, I decided to be an Indian Chief(or should I say Native-American Leader? The 80's were SUCH a different time!) We decorated my helmet with feathers and I wore a sweat suit in which we attached fringe and drew designs in Sharpie. And, of course, the pièce de résistance were horse heads mounted on my wheelchair.

It's that silver lining thing that people talk about. It made me excited to be in a wheelchair for Halloween. And I got to be pushed around for Trick or Treating which was like a HUGE double bonus (that's what she said).

So here I am, 20 years older and still looking back on that one Halloween which could have easily been one of my worst Halloweens ever, but instead, turned into one of my favorites!

Moral of Story? Two Horse Heads are better than One ;-)


Till we meet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment