A bubbly blog about boys, bleeding, and the basics between.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hi-Dee-Dle-Ee Dee...

An actor's life for me...

We always do side jobs to get us through the rough patches. One I really enjoy (and look forward to) is monitoring auditions for TheatreworksUSA. I have worked for this company since 2007 and they hold a dear, dear place in my heart.

So as I sit here and hand people sides for an open call, I think back on my life as an actor and the crazy audition stories that I have and thought this might be a good time for one of the many that will appear in this blog over the course of it's digital life.

I have a couple good ones, but I feel like this is a fun one to start off with.

I hadn't had my equity card for very long. For those of you not familiar with Equity... The Actors Equity Association is the Stage Actors and Stage Managers Union. It's how we get health insurance and stuff, and they're there to make sure a tour doesn't decide to close in Spokane with no one having a way to get home. Trust me. It's happened.

Anywho, like I said, I hadn't been in the union for very long when I saw a call for some off-bway show that I don't remember the name of. The auditions were down near Union Square, so off I go.

I thought the audition posting was looking for 2 male understudies. One that would play 45-55 years old. The other teens-20's. So I'm like ready. And I get there. And there are only 8 people there for an EPA.

Okay. Definition time again. An EPA is and Equity Principal Audition. Basically, they cast leads and understudies at calls like these. You show up, get an appointment time, and then come back for your appointment. For big shows, like Wicked, EPA's are EXTREMELY crowded and everyone who comes doesn't get seen, but for only 8 people to be at a call like this is a little odd.

Okay. I should also state that of these 8 people, there was one older gentleman, and 7 African-American actresses. Yes. Actresses. So I go up to the man checking us in, the monitor, and I ask to look at the call again. Not only was the call for a male understudy that would play 45-55 years old, but it was also for a NON-CAUCASIAN female understudy. I. Was. Mortified.

I thanked the monitor and was getting ready to leave when he stoped me and told me I should go in anyway. With so few people there, the casting director would rather see somebody rather than nobody. I agreed. I signed up for a time slot and sat to wait.

Okay, so the call was looking for contemporary musical theatre. I don't even remember what I had prepared, but when I walked in the theatre where the audition was, the casting director just started laughing because not only am I not a non-Caucasian female, I look like I just hit puberty, so we both just lost it. After we composed ourselves I explained the story. After more laughing I finally asked her what she wanted to hear. She told me since I wasn't right for this to just sing something pop-rock, so I went into my Jonas Brothers. Yes. Jonas Brothers. "When You Look Me In The Eyes" is my pop-rock ballad.

ANYWHO, to make this audition any MORE awkward, when I finished, the casting director asked me if I had "Strongest Suit" in my binder.

For those of you who are not overly into musical theatre, "Strongest Suit" is from the musical AIDA. And is a female song about fashion. So, I have to say, for the first time I had the use the "No, but I can learn it!" line. She laughed and said "Thank you anyway. Have a great day." And back I went to Queens to laugh and feel mortified about the ridiculous adventure I had been on.

So there we are... The first of many an audition story you shall hear, some even include bleeding, but you'll have to wait for those... Alright...

Till we meet again...

Location:W 26th St,New York,United States

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your tale. I grew up around the theater scene so insider views are always fun to read.

    ReplyDelete