A bubbly blog about boys, bleeding, and the basics between.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

I got a new way to walk...

So this morning was the NYC Hemophilia Walk. I took off work this morning serving Bloody Mary's to go walk for Bleeders. And I had a blast.




The only experience I have had with a big event like this was the AIDS Walk last year. A bunch of us from Seussical Past and Present got a team together and walked. I have always, fortunately and unfortunately been touring during the Hemophilia Walk since I've been living in NYC and this was the first year I could attend.

My good friend from twitterdom, Matt (@StiNgeMa) asked me if I wanted to walk with the Affinity Biotech team, and I was like, "Heck Yeah." (I think I actually said heck too. It felt like a heck moment). And I'm so glad he did because I was a little overwhelmed today.

YouTube Video

I don't know what I was expecting, but it was not the amount of people who were there today. Strolling into Riverside Park this morning at like 9:15 (who am I kidding. I pranced in), it seemed like almost everyone there was a volunteer. I registered and then took a stroll to call the boy (yes. A REAL stroll this time). When I got a call from Matt asking where I was, I made my way back, and what I saw floored me. Unknowing to those around me, it took every ounce of me to not be overcome with emotion. (Yeah. I'm that good of an actor. Duh. I'm in an Off-Bway show that runs twice a week while wearing nothing.... Okay. Not the best argument.)

There were SOOO many people. And I dunno why, but I wasn't expecting so many kids! AND NO HELMETS! I didn't see one helmet, but there were kids in strollers, walking, being carried, and even kids on T-shirts! It was amazing to me to see the amount of people turn out, and most of the people weren't Hemophiliacs. In the LGBT world, we call them allies. And that's what they are, allies to the Hemophiliacs. To help us find a cure. To help us find a more comfortable way of life.

Being there with Matt and David and the rest of the Affinity team was amazing. I met some great new people who I hope to get to know better, and I even had someone recognize the blog, which was pretty cool.

And I'm not naive. This is a newish blog. If you're reading this you are probably a Hemo, a Homo, or know me... But if you're not (or even if you are), find a cause and help it out. It doesn't even mean monetarily. Volunteer, write a blog, or just tell someone you know who feels different that they are loved. You would be surprised how a little unexpected support can really make a difference.

Till we meet again...

Location:Great Jones St,New York,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment